I’ve drank my fair share of wine from spending a day drinking Bulls Blood wine in Hungary, sipping on over 50 different Cava’s in Spain to drinking wine made from Plavac Mali in Croatia and of course downing my fair share of Sauvignon Blanc from my home country, New Zealand. But the wines of Western Australia have sure won over my taste buds in the last 2 years.
Here is why I’m having a sordid love affair with WA wine and why you should too!
- WA has fun with wine! Seriously what’s not to love about a giant 15 metre wide goon bag as part of the Cottesloe Sculptures by the Sea created by West Australian artist Norton Flavel! Salut to the bogan in all of us!
- WA produces world-class wine! When I was working in Le Clos in Dubai I was not only selling 1982 Lafite and Domaine Romanee Conti for US$28,000 but beside this I was selling the likes of Voyager Estate and Howard Park!
- We are spoilt for choice in WA! Western Australia wine regions include: Swan Valley, Perth Hills, Margaret River, South West, Blackwood River, Geographe and the Peel region.
- Wineries are on our doorstep in WA! If you’re in the Perth CBD you’re only a 20 minute drive from setting foot in a cellar door in the Swan Valley.
- There’s something for everyone in WA! The range of weather conditions from the cool temperatures in the South West to the scorching heat in the Swan Valley means many different grapes can thrive in this state producing a wide range of wine styles.
- The WA wine people! WA wine people are so awesomely down to earth, which I admire. I just love chatting with Jackie from Barton Jones Wines, Rich the Cellar Door Manager at Evans & Tate, Donelle from Tyler’s Vineyard and all the friendly staff at Olive Farm Wines.
- The WA food & wine scene! The food scene is moving at a rapid pace in Perth and winery restaurants are doing so well at matching their tipples with the local produce. The Discovery Menu at Voyager Estate is a great example!
- The WA wine events! They may be small-scale events but Valley & Vines, UnWined WA and Sunset Wine are proudly showcasing some of the best of WA’s wines in a convenient location in Perth and for $25 approximately for a ticket they’re an awesome day out!
So what are you waiting for.. POP a bottle of Western Australian wine today!